b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: JEDP (Melchizedek)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: JEDP (Melchizedek)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:13:32 -0700

Peter,
[snip]
> There is a simple reason why this psalm (and the Melchizedek story in
> Genesis) might have been omitted from the Qumran collections: its
> theology (which puzzled the Pharisees: Matthew 22:41-46 and parallels)
> was not to the liking of the Qumran sect(s), perhaps because it was
> being used by their enemies in Jerusalem to justify their rule.

God forbid I should agree with Ian :-), but in this case he is more
correct. There's an entire scroll from cave 11 about Melchizedek,
and the Genesis story about him doesn't seem to have been
excised from any Genesis manuscript that I am aware of. I would
have to go back and re-examine the cave 11 Psalms scroll to come
up with a hypothesis about the absence of Psalms 110-117, but
based on the other material I doubt it had anything to do with
Melchizedek.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11