b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:22:15 -0700

Peter,
I'd be interested to see some examples of some of these,
especially the exceptions to past and examples of suggested mis-
pointings. I'd also be interested to see what you consider "special
cases" wrt sequentiality.

> Rather off the top of my head, I would say that the features of
> WAYYIQTOL which we have mentioned come to the fore as follows:
>
> +past usually, not always especially where context is future
> +perfective almost always, perhaps always (?)
> +realis almost always, perhaps always (?)
> -dependence not quite sure what you mean by this one

Syntactically dependent or connected to another (previous) clause.
Examples would be coordination, apposition, governance by a
temporal clause, that sort of thing.

> -subordination I'd need to look more closely at this one

Subordination most often happens in BH by means of KY or )$R,
that the type of clause I denote by "subordination."

> and if for now we allow a feature from a different level:
>
> +sequential usually, except in hendiadys and some special cases
>
> I would also suggest a small secondary focus made up of cases in which
> WAYYIQTOL is actually a mis-pointing of WEYIQTOL.
>
> Peter Kirk

> _________________________________
> Subject: Re[3]: Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect
> Author: <dwashbur AT nyx.net> at Internet
> Date: 14/12/1999 09:46
>

> <snip>
>
> OK, assuming we're on level ground there, then, and working within
> Huovila's theory, which features do you see coming to the fore in
> BH usage of the wayyiqtol?
>

> Dave Washburn
> http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
> Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth;
> give me an undivided heart that I may fear your name.
> Psalm 86:11
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: dwashbur AT nyx.net

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11