b-hebrew - Re[6]: Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[6]: Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:21:14 -0500

Dave,

I think Rolf Furuli has in the past provided several examples of
non-past WAYYIQTOLs. I have attempted to explain many of these as
relative past, and some I have suggested as errors for WEYIQTOLs. A
reasonably clear example of the latter is Psa 18:14 WAY.AR:("M, where
some MSS and 2 Samuel 22:14 have YAR:("M, and the verse continues with
a YIQTOL verb. The simplest explanation is that the Psalms text should
have been pointed W:YAR:("M, and the meaning is the same as in 2
Samuel. No doubt some other cases not indicated textually could be
discovered, at least tentatively, by componential analysis. By the
way, note that I am not excluding poetry from this study, while
realising that there may be a higher proportion of non-prototypical
forms and idiomatic usages in poetry.

As for the special cases wrt sequentiality, I am thinking of the
examples of this which you have put forward in the past.

Peter Kirk