b-hebrew - Re[4]: Sabbath Origins

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Sabbath Origins
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 22:50:02 -0500

You have dated Chronicles after about 400-350 BCE (depends on how you
read the text!). You have provided no other evidence of dating of
anything before the 1st century BCE. So how can you claim to date
anything in the 2nd century or earlier? (OK, I will allow that 1
Maccabees is probably a more or less contemporary and accurate record
for a snapshot from the 2nd century.) Even more so, how can you claim
that anything did NOT happen at the time that most scholars maintain?
You cannot prove them wrong any more than I can prove them right. The
most you can possibly argue is as follows:

We don't know whether a lunar, solar or anything else calendar was at
use in any time before the 1st century BCE, and we have no way of
telling.

We don't know whether a seventh day, mid month or anything else
sabbath was celebrated at any time before the 2nd century BCE, and we
have no way of telling.

Do you agree with these statements? If not, why not?

Peter Kirk