b-hebrew - re: Waw consecutive in Gen 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Brian Sullivan" <navillusbpi AT primus.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Waw consecutive in Gen 1
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 14:18:56 -0500

sullivan wrote:
> It was pointed out to me that O. L. Barnes
> (1965) stated that translation of the imperfect "has been needelessly
> complicated by slavish adherance" to the waw consecutive principle.

any responsible university or graduate school would advise beginning
students that mr. barnes is generally relegated within the 'crank'
literature and is not considered a Hebrew scholar. that doesn't mean a
person can't read or interact with the material and views, but beginning
students should be forwarned.

braxot
randall buth
hebrew university-rothberg