b-hebrew - Re[2]: Sabbath Origins

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Sabbath Origins
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 17:04:27 -0500

Let me ask you, Ian, to show some datable evidence for your own
theory. As far as I can tell, you can date nothing except by
speculation and the sort of specious argument "there is no proof that
X existed before year Y, therefore X was written around year Y". Even
passages which most scholars date early (e.g. Exodus 21-23) you choose
arbitrarily to date however best fits your theory (that is what I
meant by my warning about circular argument). I am sure that whatever
dates George or anyone else might come up with you would find some
grounds to doubt, if they didn't fit your theory. By your own criteria
the datings on which your own theory is based are equally suspect. So
you can hardly expect George to answer your request.

Peter Kirk