b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: Textual Criticism (and the rejected post)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lewreich AT javanet.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: Textual Criticism (and the rejected post)
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 01:05:00 -0400

On 21 Oct 99, at 22:12, Peter Kirk wrote:

> I don't think our friend did actually state what you say. The closest I
> can find is "I do favor strongly the ancient Jewish writers and their
> commentaries up to a point, and that is, I leave them when they try to
> under mine the Messiahship of Jesus Christ."

We may have to agreeto disagree here, Peter. I certainly agree
with you that

a Jewish b-hebrew member might want to express agreement
on a technical matter with a Christian interpreter, but should
surely be allowed to make it clear that he does not accept the
wider doctrinal position of that interpreter.

However, unlike you, I do not think that describes what we see in
the post under discussion. Rather than raising particular issues
relevant to the subject matter of this list, the poster states a
conclusion (rejection of the MT) based on doctrinal grounds alone,
with the supporting argument that (adduced without any evidence
that I could see) that Jewish religious authorities corrupted (sic!)
the text based on doctrinal grounds. This form of argumentation is
generally described as circular.

Lewis Reich
lbr AT sprynet.com