b-hebrew - Re: Prepositions with Berakh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Prepositions with Berakh
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 06:24:57 +0800

Jon,

Once again, I am away from my lexicons, but I am not surprised with the
use of the lamed in the context you are examining. In very general
terms, the preposition beth seems to carry the concepts of (a)
accompaniment (I would include here the "against" meanings) and (b) the
channel for an action. Lamed, on the other hand, has a much wider
variety of usages, including, in part, (a) genitival concepts (including
such things as possession) and (b) direction or goal. Since "source" is
a genitival concept, I would see the lamed as being perfectly in line
with my general understanding of the prepositions.

To state it another way, had beth been used here, I would have seen the
possibility for the source of the blessing to be other than YHWH, and
for YHWH to be in the role of transmitter of the blessing. Note in your
Hosea example that the beth plays exactly that function.

Hope this helps,

Paul