b-hebrew - Re: Textual Criticism (and the rejected post)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Textual Criticism (and the rejected post)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 00:06:49 -0400

Dear Don and Peter,

There are three issues involved in the decision to reject
Don's additional posting of this unknown person's e-mail
(BTW, the rejected post is shown below following my
comments). One is that the person's post contains ad
hominem, faith-based arguements, which our charter forbids.
Second, the person is an unnamed writer of an e-mail. If we
start passing on a broad spectrum of third party e-mail
comments by unnamed sources, the list will become more of a
litter basket than a "scholarly" discussion. Thirdly, the
staff had a chance to reject the second post (and did so).
Typically, even inappropriate posts will be forwarded to the
list automatically by Lyris, the list's host (the list is
not totally moderated). However, a member's first two posts
are sent to the b-hebrew staff for approval. This mechanism
exists to insure that new contributors understand the
mission of the list and post appropriately (at least the
first two times ;-) ). Lyris interprets an "old" member
who changes his e-mail address as a new member and
consequently sends the first two postings to the staff for
approval. The point is that the staff saw an inappropriate
post, so that it did not pass the post along. The truth is,
the *first* post quoting this unnamed person should probably
not have been approved either. Sorry, that's my fault.

Shalom,
Bryan Rocine
b-hebrew staff