b-hebrew - Re[4]: Textual Criticism (and the rejected post)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Textual Criticism (and the rejected post)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:12:02 -0400

I don't think our friend did actually state what you say. The closest
I can find is "I do favor strongly the ancient Jewish writers and
their commentaries up to a point, and that is, I leave them when they
try to under mine the Messiahship of Jesus Christ." Now this is
clearly not going to win the author Jewish friends. But he is not
rejecting texts on theological grounds, he is rejecting arguments and
doctrinal positions: his point is that he (as a Christian) accepts
Jewish arguments on textual matters but not on doctrinal ones.
Technically such a comment is indeed out of bounds, but I think we
must allow people to make qualifications on how far they agree with
another author. For example, a Jewish b-hebrew member might want to
express agreement on a technical matter with a Christian interpreter,
but should surely be allowed to make it clear that he does not accept
the wider doctrinal position of that interpreter. This is, I think,
what our anonymous friend is trying to do.

Our friend also says that he settles textual differences between LXX
traditions based on one of the oldest witnesses to the text, the New
Testament. That may be dubious text-critical method, but it is not the
same as "reject[ing] certain texts based on their theological
implications."

Peter Kirk