b-hebrew - Prepositions with Berakh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Prepositions with Berakh
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 00:43:20 +0200

Can anybody tell me (with perhaps a verse reference) which preposition would
be
used in BH for "by" with the word berakh in a phrase such as "I bless you by
YHWH". I
am looking at a paleo-Hebrew inscription here which has "brktk lyhwh" but I
would
have expected something like "brktk byhwh" because I would think the
preposition
would be "be-", such as in the phrase "diber YHWH behoshe'a" (Hos 1,2)
"Adonai
spoke through/by Hosea"

Am I detecting a difference in the language of my inscription and that of
classic BH?
Or is "le-" used for "by" in BH too? If not with berakh, then perhaps with
other verbs?

While we're at it, I am interested in differences between BH and paleo-Hebrew
in
general, or similarities between paleo-Hebrew and the archaic biblical poetry
for that
matter. Anybody have any interesting insights here?

Jon