b-hebrew - Re: Spiritual death or Physical death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Lee Deavers <devious AT carol.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Spiritual death or Physical death?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:49:42 -0400

At 11:14 AM 10/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Could some of you Hebrew scholars help me out with the word "meweth" as it
>is used in Isa 53:9a?
>Is this to be translated "deaths"?

No. In fact it is not "meweth" but "mothayw" with the preposition beth
prefixed. It is not "deaths" but "his death" or perhaps "his grave"
depending on how you point the text.

>In Gen 2:17 the word "muth", does it refer to physical death or spiritual
>death? Does the language help clarify this or do we have to derive the
>meaning by hermeneutics?

it refers to death. the word simply means death. the construction here is
"dying you shall certainly die". does this mean physical death? certainly.
then why didnt they die then? because there is nothing said about the
"when" of that certain death. Thus, it isnt a description of "spiritual
death". Instead it means simply that death is the penalty for rebellion.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

'Mythology is what never was but always is.' Stephen of Byzantium