b-hebrew - Re: Spiritual death or Physical death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Jim West" <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Spiritual death or Physical death?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:39:36 -0400

Hi Jim,
You wrote:

> At 01:11 PM 10/13/99 -0400, Bryan wrote:
>
> >Actually, I believe the text reads ki beyom 'akolka
mimenu
> >mot tamut. So the time of death is indeed specified as
"in
> >the day of your eating" or "at the time of your eating."
> >Hermeneutics may then come into play after all. If, for
> >instance, we find it unlikely that the Lord was merely
> >putting forth a vain threat, we would be left with the
> >conclusion that Adam (and Eve) did indeed die that day as
> >the Lord said they would...spiritually, that is.
>
> Bryan,
> I dont take "in the day..." as literally as you do. The
phrase is
> unspecified (as opposed to "today" or "tomorrow"). It is
as vague and
> imprecise, I think, as "the Day of the Lord" or in
Christian terms, "the Day
> of Christ's return". Thus, I render the phrase "whenever
you eat of it,
> death will result", which nicely preserves the ambiguity
of the phrase.

You don't find English "whenever" to suggest that they would
die every time they would eat? "Whenever" is neither
justified in the Hebrew or "world-knowledge." As for the
vagueness of the beyom + infinitive construction, how about
Exo 10:28 ki beyom ro'tka panay tamut? Do you suppose
Pharoah was being vague?

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine