b-hebrew - Re[3]: Can Hebrew "tense" be relative to context not deictic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[3]: Can Hebrew "tense" be relative to context not deictic
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:39:08 -0400

Dear Rolf and other friends,

I can only agree with your initial sentence. However, I think I am
speaking the same language as Rocine, Niccacci, Comrie, and the
majority of interpreters of Hebrew modern and not so modern and also
many linguists. At least I am trying to do so, and would welcome
correction if I am not doing so. (I have also made a considerable
effort to try to understand and respond in your language e.g. exactly
what you mean by "deictic point".) If you are not able to speak their
language, even to be able to argue against their conclusions, I fear
that you will continue to be frustrated at the lack of other response
to your postings to this list. Because I am wondering who else speaks
your language? There is a real human language listed somewhere in the
Ethnologue which has one surviving speaker who uses it to talk with
God. I think otherwise she would be rather lonely! This may have been
her mother tongue, but presumably she has learned some other language
as well in order to communicate with others. Maybe you need to do
something similar.

Peter KIrk

_________________________________
Author: <furuli AT online.no> at Internet
Date: 10/10/1999 02:46

Dear Peter,

It is evident that we speak two different languages as far as linguistic
analysis is concerned. Our standpoints have been presented, so I see no
purpose in continuing this thread.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')