b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Can Hebrew "tense" be relative to context not deictic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Can Hebrew "tense" be relative to context not deictic
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 20:34:57 +0800

Peter,

While I am not sure your current topic is really addressing Rolf's
question, I don't think we have to go to all these examples from other
languages to answer the question posed in your thread subject. Rocine
classifies qatals in dependent clauses as "relative past background,"
relative to the event time (not the deictic time) of the verb.
Similarly, he classifies yiqtols in dependent clauses as "relative
non-past background," thus leaving open the question of present or
future to be answered on a case-by-case basis.

HTH,

Paul