b-hebrew - Re[2]: RE[6] (CC:Rolf, Peter, Niccatti,Hatav) Can Hebrew ten

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: RE[6] (CC:Rolf, Peter, Niccatti,Hatav) Can Hebrew ten
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:06:11 -0400

Dear Rolf,

It seems that despite your posting on discontinuing discussion you are
continung to interact with my earlier postings on this thread as well
as Moon's posting. So let me continue this discussion in the language
of Comrie in which we both seem to have some competence.

In the passage you quoted, Comrie gives various different examples of
the pluperfect in English, in which "the situation in question is
located prior to [a] reference point":

(1) (reference point given by a time adverbial)
"John had arrived by six o'clock yesterday evening."
(your (1) and (3) are similar to this)

(2) (reference point given by a main clause to which the clause
containing the pluperfect is subordinate)
"when John had left, Mary emerged from the cupboard"

(3) (clauses in the inverse relation)
"John had already left when Mary emerged from the cupboard."

(4) (reference may be given more generally by the context)
"the clock struck ten; John had already left"

In English, how do we know which is the reference point and which is
the clause which is located in time relative to it? This is quite
clear in English: the relative time location clause is signalled by
the pluperfect verb form. The same is true of Comrie's

(5) "John arrived; Mary had already left before I arrived."

which is indeed past in the past, similar to (3), and signalled as
such by the pluperfect. By the way, Comrie's use of the term
"reference point" is somewhat confusing: in a sentence like "In the
year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord..." (Isaiah 6:1), in
common or historical parlance one might think of the date as the
reference point, but in Comrie's usage the reference point would be
Isaiah's vision."

Now Comrie could give a similar set of examples using future in the
past. We have to be careful in English because the original tense
indicating future in past ("would" forms) has a restricted use in
modern English, mostly in indirect speech and analogous constructions
like "I expected that John would come by six o'clock". But we can use
"was going to" more widely for future in the past. So following
Comrie's logic we can write in analogy to (1-4); here "the situation
in question is located" after the "reference point":

(6) (reference point given by a time adverbial)
"John was going to arrive after six o'clock yesterday evening."
or "At six o'clock yesterday evening, John was yet to arrive."

(7) (reference point given by a main clause to which the clause
containing the pluperfect is subordinate)
"when John was going to leave, Mary emerged from the cupboard"

(8) (clauses in the inverse relation)
"John was going to leave when Mary emerged from the cupboard."

(9) (reference may be given more generally by the context)
"the clock struck ten; John was going to leave"

In (7), and only (7), we can substitute "before" for "when" (so I
agree with you that using "before" rather than "when" etc often only
clarifies the time relationship rather than changing it):

(10) "before John was going to leave, Mary emerged from the cupboard"

though in fact the following is rather more natural if John actually
did leave:

(11) "before John left, Mary emerged from the cupboard"

For the sentence (10) with "before" carries a subtle suggestion that
John actually did not leave, that perhaps he changed his mind on
seeing Mary. On the other hand, the same sentence with "when", (7),
does not carry this nuance, because if we substitute "when" for
"before" in (11) the time relationships are different (so here
"before" and "when" are not synonymous).

My suggestion is quite simply that the Hebrew B:+EREM is used in
Jeremiah 1:5 and 47:1 (and in most of its other usages) in the same
way as "before" in sentence (10) above, with a relative non-past
YIQTOL. In Hebrew (in a subtle difference from English) there is
perhaps no suggestion that the event did not actually happen, thus the
situation is closer to (7) than (10). This is hardly new, as it is at
least implicit in Gesenius' comments and Waltke and O'Connor's
examples. But we do occasionally find B:+EREM with QATAL, which is
similar to (11). In some cases (I remember one in Psalms and one in
Proverbs) this is perhaps to avoid any element of doubt that the event
happened, in these cases that God created the earth.

Let me say that your examples (2) and (4) with "will have" forms in
English are not relevant here. This tense represents not future in the
past but rather past in the future. These examples correspond to my
(1) (which is Comrie's) shifted into absolute future time. We have
come across such examples in Hebrew in past discussions of QATAL with
allegedly future meaning. The present discussion is of YIQTOL with
allegedly past meaning.

So, to go back to Jer 1:5 (first half, I assume the second half to be
exactly parallel in the temporal significance of verb forms):

B:+EREM )EC.FWR:KF BAB.E+EN Y:DA(:T.IYKF
A. Before I formed you in the womb I knew you
or B. When I was going to form you in the womb I knew you
or C. Before I formed you in the womb I had known you

The translation A is NIV. B is my analysis which is analogous to (7),
the reference point is "I knew you". C is an alternative which is
analogous to (3) in reverse order, the reference point is "I formed
you". I think we can choose between the two by looking at which event
is the new information in focus here. Which is the event in focus, the
new information, in Jeremiah 1:5? Surely it must be "I knew you".
Which is the event in focus or the new information in (3) and (7)?
Surely in both it is "Mary emerged from the cupboard". In the English
sentences above, the event in focus is always the one which has the
absolute tense and is the "reference point" in Comrie's terminology,
and the relative tense is always given to the verb which is not in
focus, to the event which is located relative to the reference point.
For this reason I would reject translation C as putting the focus on
"formed", and would prefer translation B (though translation A is
better still). To put it another way, I am arguing for an analysis
like (7) rather than like (3).

I would want to look more carefully at all examples of +EREM before
coming to any definite conclusions. But it does seem to me that I have
made a reasonable case here for my argument that +EREM signals future
in the past, and without using the language of Rocine, Niccacci etc
which you find so hard to understand.

Peter Kirk