b-hebrew - Re[2]: Can Hebrew "tense" be relative to context not deictic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Can Hebrew "tense" be relative to context not deictic
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 00:21:50 -0400

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your Greek examples. I had also thought that (NT) Greek
did something similar to what I am saying for Hebrew, but could not
confirm it so I shut my mouth on that one before I put my foot in it
again! I can now see that this is clearest with participles.

Russian also does something very similar with its gerunds (which are
closely analogous to Greek adverbial participles). Quotes from "A
Comprehensive Russian Grammar" by Terence Wade (Blackwell 1992)
section 377-8: "The imperfective gerund denotes an action which is
simultaneous to the action of the main verb. Either the two actions
are simultaneous or one interrupts the other... The perfective gerund
describes an action which is completed prior to the action denoted by
the main verb... The perfective gerund may also denote a state
resulting from the completion of an action... The verb in the main
clause may be in any tense and either aspect."

Indeed the same applies even in English with this type of
construction:

He sat reading the newspaper.
He is sitting reading the newspaper.
He will sit reading the newspaper.

He stood up, having read the newspaper.
He is standing up, having read the newspaper.
He will stand up, having read the newspaper.

The choice between "reading" and "having read" is determined by the
temporal relationship between the two events and not the time relative
to the deictic point. I would surmise that this is something common to
Indo-European languages. Something rather similar happens in Turkic
languages, but there are subtle differences as one would expect in a
different language family.

The difference in Hebrew is that the same sort of thing happens also
with "finite" verbs. But then we should not expect the same
distinction between finite and non-finite verbs to hold across
different language families.

Peter Kirk