b-hebrew - Re[2]: Jerusalem, neuter plural

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Jerusalem, neuter plural
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:20:21 -0400

Those who have taken a cursory look at Latin and English grammar will
recognise the ungrammatical nature of the statement "The yod is always
optional because it is a matres." I suppose that the writer meant "The
yod... is a mater". But perhaps he meant "The yod... is a mattress".
Perhaps the truth value of the two statements is the same.

But in fact I agree that the yod, which we are told occurs in 1% of
occurrences, is a mater. That is, it is a consonant letter written,
originally in unpointed texts, to indicate a vowel sound. In the dual
ending (as opposed to the masculine plural ending) the yod does not
represent a vowel sound but is rather pronounced as a consonant. Can
you find any other cases of a dual ending in which the yod is optional
or missing? I think not. Can you find any other cases in which a
consonant sound was to be pronounced but was regularly not written? I
think not. This is surely a clear indication that at the time when the
consonantal text was fixed this city name was not understood as a
dual.

The understanding as a dual is also incompatible with the ancient
(popular?) etymology of the name as "City of Peace", for the M is a
root vowel, not part of a dual ending, in the word for peace, Shalom
or possibly Shalem. Then we have the evidence from Aramaic, Greek and
other ancient spellings of the name, which as far as I know always
include M (no Aramaic dual in N!) but never anything like AYIM.

Thus the theory has arisen that the traditional pronunciation of the
city name changed between the 1st century CE destruction of the city
and the time of the Masoretes, for reasons which may include the ones
which John put forward initially. No-one is disputing that the
Masoretes accurately represented what they heard read, and sought to
represent it using unusual pointing to represent a consonant which
they heard but which was not in the consonantal text.

This is surely evidence that requires a more thorough rebuttal than
"Nope... Nope... Nope..." and "simply wrong". I look forward to a
point by point answer to the points I have made above.

Peter Kirk