b-hebrew - Re: YHVH = haShem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: YHVH = haShem
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:03:24 -0400

At 12:08 AM 8/24/99 -0400, you wrote:

>On a related topic, can anyone explain how Shem can also be used for
>'Semite' !(ben'ey Shem). How did this derivation from Noah's son come to
>mean both Semetic people as well as a term defined as "the name." ? Was
>this some kind of odd mixup with the Hebrew or is it from some other
>greater reasoning?

These really are two different words which merely are spelled alike- just
like the English words "light" = not heavy; and "light" = illumination froma
source such as the sun or a lamp. I dont think anyone would assume there is
some etymololgical link between these two.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net