b-hebrew - Re[4]: Meaning of ger

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Meaning of ger
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 23:24:31 -0400

No analogies are perfect, but I think this is a better one than you
are saying. One of the problems that Turks face in Germany is I think
opposition from Germans who resent the full extent of rights (short of
full citizenship) granted to the Turks. Also many Turks may stay long
term in Germany, but many also return to Turkey. Maybe the word
"migrant" is not quite right, but not "immigrant" which tends to imply
a grant of citizenship. Perhaps we could use "guest"? But then that
has other connotations which do not fit.

Peter