b-hebrew - Re: Meaning of ger

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rodney K. Duke" <dukerk AT appstate.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Matthew Anstey <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • Subject: Re: Meaning of ger
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:05:29 -0400

> Subject: Meaning of ger
> From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
> Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 17:04:00 -0700
>
> Gday all,
>
> Just wondering what people thought was a good word to use for ger for its
> usual meanings. We want to try to avoid "resident aliens," "aliens," or
> "strangers" if possible. What does NJPS use? The current revisors of the NIV
> are removing the word "alien" from the translation altogether, and we too
> are looking a better word. What do people think of these possibilities:

I think "sojourner" covers the range of meanings for ger better than the
options that you have
suggested..

> 1. immigrant

The strongest of the six you give, but it does imply permanence which is not
always the case with
ger. It works fairly well for the ger in Israel, because the ger voluntarily
takes on some of the
covenant responsibilities.

> 2. outsider
> 3. foreigner

These are better translations for other Hebrew words

> 4. refugee
> 5. person in exile

These terms work OK with the Hebrews as gerim in Egypt but miss the emphasis
for the gerim in
Israel.

> 6. migrant

Implies a lack of permanence, more like bedouin mobility.

--
Rodney K. Duke
Dept. of Phil. & Rel., Appalachian State Univ., Boone, NC 28608