b-hebrew - Re[2]: Meaning of ger

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Meaning of ger
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 22:37:58 -0400

I guess the reason for avoiding "alien" is not so much political
correctness as that that word now has strongest connotations of the
likes of ET, not the object marker but the Extra-Terrestrial. Also I
don't think Ben Crick has understood, as I think I do, that for this
project Matthew is deliberately looking for the one best single
equivalent, for a computer-generated interlinear text. He should of
course be very careful about using that equivalent everywhere in any
translation for general use.

I would suggest "migrant" for the very reason that Rodney Duke seems
to reject it, that the word implies impermanence. I would think that
the nearest modern equivalent may well be migrant workers such as the
Turks in Germany. Or can anyone suggest any better analogies? In more
legal and modern terms, the idea would I think be of someone with
permission to reside and work in a country of which he is not a
citizen. But it is not clear to me whether the "ger" would in general
expect to return later to his homeland. It is of course important that
we (or Matthew) first exegete the texts to find out what the word
means before trying to choose an English equivalent.

Peter Kirk