b-hebrew - Choices: West and Rachman

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yochanan Childs <jayc AT telepath.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Choices: West and Rachman
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 16:09:55 -0500

B-Haverim,

I'm kind of split on this one. While I agree that we all need to be
solid linguists and that German is a pretty vital language in the study
of the Ancient Near East, I find that Dr. West's attitude is a great
deal more toxic than Mr. Rachman's.

As a teacher, I cannot condone the public or private belittlement of any
student, whether I agree with his viewpoints or not. Personally, I find
Wondell's attitude and eagerness refreshing, honest and respectful. Jim
West, on the other hand, seems patronizing, elitist and
establishmentarian. Maybe his tradition encourages that sort of
attitude, but my tradition (Anglican) has us take vows that we will, in
our discipleship of Christ, respect the dignity of every human being.
This is not just for our clergy, but for every baptized person. I would
encourage Pastor West to review the vows he took, both at his baptism
and his ordination, and to consider his words in this forum in light of
those vows.

Sincerely in Christ,

Jay Childs