b-hebrew - Re: A Psalm A Day

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: A Psalm A Day
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 21:50:41 -0400 (EDT)

TODAH Raba George!

On Tue, 4 May 1999, George Athas wrote:
> No, Joseph, it's completely unrelated. The letters HEH and HETH are in no
> way related and are not
> to be confused. They aren't really interchangeable at all, despite their
> similar appearance. The
> Psalm uses the word hawwah (lit: "chasm" and figuratively "doom") which
> employs a HEH. Eve's name,
> H.awwah is spelled with a HETH and is a pun on the word "to live" and
> perhaps also the word
> "serpent" in Aramaic.

I see. I was looking at it from (again) a religious lens. I'll try to be
more careful in the future. Hey you learn something new everyday...

> Also, Joseph, I agree the Psalm is pretty good, but there is no need to
> post us the entire text of
> a Psalm just for us to read. We should keep our posts purely to scholarly
> discussion and not
> devotional material. Only those texts which are relevant to a scholarly
> issue need be quoted.

Ah ok. I just thought people would want to read it context, and I did not
want to misquote or provide any kind of misinformation. Thanks again!

Shalom.

Wondell M. Rachman