b-hebrew - Re: Alviero Niccacci, 2Sam 12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Studium Biblicum Franciscanum <sbfnet AT netvision.net.il>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Alviero Niccacci, 2Sam 12
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:17:59 -0400

> > 118 wayyiqtol,narrative=Then David comforted his wife, Bathsheba,
> > 119 wayyiqtol,narrative=and went in to her,
> > 120 wayyiqtol,narrative=and lay with her;
> > 121 wayyiqtol,narrative=and she bore a son,
> > 122 wayyiqtol,narrative=and he called his name Solomon.
> > 123 x-qatal,background=And the LORD loved him,
> > 124 wayyiqtol,narrative=and sent a message by Nathan the prophet;
> > 125 wayyiqtol,narrative=and he called his name Jedidiah, because of the
> > LORD.
>

> 123 x-qatal, background. You may look for I way of rendering this
> background construction, e.g.: "she called his name Solomon because the
> Lord loved him," or "While the Lord..." This clause may be intended to
> introduce the second, prophetic naming of the child.

Dear Professor,
Thank you for you comments. They are very helpful.
My first impression of line 123 was that it should go with lines 124-25 as
antecedent and/or topicalization, especially since YHWH is not repeated as
the subject in 124. You seem to be open to that possibility. However, I am
very hesitant to discount the traditional versification. Have you seen other
cases similar to this one?