b-hebrew - Re: Name of Jesus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Name of Jesus
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 99 16:35:11

On Sat 17 Apr 99 (09:19:07 +1000), gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au wrote:
> Yeshua (Jesus), however, is simply a noun meaning "salvation" or
> "victory". There is no theophoric (divine name) element in Yeshua as
> there is in YEHOshua. However, there is a suggestion that it is simply
> an abbreviated form of Yehoshua. Either is possible.

Dear George, Peter and John,

The use of the Name of Jesus by Matthew is interesting (well to me,
anyway).

Matthew 1:21 GNT
KALESEIS TO ONOMA AUTOU IHSOUN: AUTOS GAR SWSEI TON LAON AUTOU, ktl
Delitzsch renders this into Hebrew as
W:QaRa'Tha 'eTh-Sh:MoW YeShuWa`, KiY HuW' YoShiYa` 'eTh-`aMMoW ...
bringing out the punning of the name (root Yodh Shin `ayin).

ShaLoWM
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF