b-hebrew - Name of Jesus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin L. Barney" <klbarney AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Name of Jesus
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:49:34

I'm on another list where a couple of questions came up I thought some here
might be able to help with:

1. Is Yeshua simply a shortened Hebrew variant of Yehoshua, or is it an
Aramaic form? (Orthographic differences between Hebrew and Aramaic often
seem to revolve around the letter hey, so I would guess it's Aramaic, but
that is just a guess.)

2. How do we derive Yeshua as the Semitic name of Jesus? Do we work
backwards from the Greek transliteration Iesous based on the names of other
people named Yeshua, or is there some other evidence scholars have brought
to bear on this question?

Thanks in advance for your help. (Unless you request otherwise, I may
forward useful responses to my other [English-based scripture study]
list.)

Kevin L. Barney
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
klbarney AT yahoo.com