b-hebrew - Terminoloigical clarification for the Suggestion Box.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Lloyd Barre <barre AT c-zone.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Terminoloigical clarification for the Suggestion Box.
  • Date: 17 Apr 99 01:08:28 -0800

Dear List Members,

May I suggest that we abandon the use of terminology that has introduced a
false dichotomy into the study of the traditions of ancient Israel by
contrasting "biblical" with "extra-biblical" data or evidence. I suggest
that this type of language be repacled with "intra-biblical" verses
"extra-biblical, or abandoned altogether. I think that some rethinking here
will discover that the distinction is merely a "local" one and holds no final
methodological significance whatsoever. In addition, this facile
understanding has confused and confounded many a graduate and post-graduate
student of this area of research and which descends from an inappropriate and
manifestly irritating distinction between "secular" and "religious"
understandings of the biblical materials. I suggest that we strive to
transcend this limited perspective and strove to arrive at one that is more
integrated, wholistic, and seemingly more intelligent.

Thank you.

L. M. Barre, Ph.D.

barre AT c-zone.net
www.angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael

  • Terminoloigical clarification for the Suggestion Box., Lloyd Barre, 04/17/1999