b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: 'asher with prepositions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon AT computing.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: 'asher with prepositions
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:47:9

Dear Peter,

you wrote:
> In fact I
> think a closer English equivalent to ):A$ER might be "the following"
> followed by a colon. For it seems to me that the word ):A$ER is
> related syntactically to the main clause rather than to the
> subordinate clause. On my view
HABBAYIT ):A$ER HF)IY$ BOW
could be glossed "the following house: the man (is) in it".
> But HABBAYIT BA):A$ER HF)IY$ would not make sense: it would mean
> something like "the house in the following (one): the man is". Thus
> KA):A$ER would be "like the following one:" or simply "as follows:".

I think I have heard the first explanation that makes sense
about ):A$ER. So, it is NOT a relative pronoun! It causes no problem
to me, because Korean also does well without relative pronouns. It still
has clauses that can modify nouns. Your explanation reminds me that
English
has a similar construction, i.e. "such that".

HABBAYIT ):A$ER HF)IY$ BOW => the house such that he is in it
HABBAYIT KA):A$ER HF)IY$ BOW => the house like such that he is in it

Though the "English equivalents" do not sound well to the ear of the
native
speaker, they at least illustrate that nouns can be modified by the
clauses
that contain anaphors to them.

Sincerely

Moon