b-hebrew - Re: Re[6]: 'asher with prepositions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[6]: 'asher with prepositions
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:33:02 -0700

Doug wrote:
> 2) On to something a bit new. You say below: " Do
> verbs in ):A$ER clauses act as if they were sentence-initial verbs?"

I accidentally deleted this question of Peter's, so I'll try to reply to it
now. I don't think they do; if the did, then we should expect an
occasional wayyiqtol or weqatal after the ):A$ER depending on
what the subordinate clause says. As far as I know, we never see
this. Also, the phenomena I asked about originally with
prepositions argues strongly for the idea that ):A$ER (with or
without the preposition) is a moved constituent, and thus it is
unlikely that it would be moved clear out of the subordinate clause
and into the main clause without any real syntactic connection
between the two (this is how I understand Peter's scenario using
the "this X:" gloss).

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur