b-hebrew - Re[6]: 'asher with prepositions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[6]: 'asher with prepositions
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:06:16 -0500

Dear Moon,

Yes, I think we are getting there now. I thought of "such" as an
English equivalent, but "such a house" means "a similar house" rather
than "the house", "such that" is perhaps better though not quite
right. But then we should not expect a direct equivalent.

Then I thought of another issue which I don't have time to explore. If
):A$ER is not part of the subordinate clause and is followed by the
verb of the subordinate clause, that makes the subordinate clause
verb-initial. That has an impact on the semantics of verb forms. Do
verbs in ):A$ER clauses act as if they were sentence-initial verbs?

Peter Kirk