b-hebrew - Re: body and soul

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: body and soul
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:03:03 +1100

Hi Ron!

Your comments on the Soul are interesting, but I have two further comments to
make.

(1) I agree that Sheol and the grave are one and the same. However,

(2) Sheol does seem to be a place (not "hell") where the departed go. In the
episode of Samuel's
spirit being raised for Saul at Eyn-Dor, it appears that the spirit (if we
can separate it from the
soul in this case) is in a particular place, namely a place which is viewed
as being "down". I
assume this to mean that Sheol is more than just the "grave" - it is a place
where people do exist,
but they exist in a state of unconsciousness and virtual nothingness. Note
Samuel's reponse to
having been "disturbed" and his statement that Saul and his sons would, the
next day, be where
Samuel was.

Best regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm