b-hebrew - Re: OT Trnity ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "M. Brody" <mbrody AT earthling.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: OT Trnity ?
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:29:39 +0200

Thank you peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG for your letter 0n 23:14 03/03/99 -0500. You
wrote:
>Dear Menachem,
>Surely the use of periphrastic expressions in place of the name of God
>was an encouragement towards personification of attributes of God
>rather than a way to avoid it? Or perhaps rather, as suggested in the
>original posting in this thread, it was a part of or a precursor of
>the movements towards personification, some of which were eventually
>rejected by the Jewish leadership as heretical and forced to go their
>own way.
>Peter Kirk

Dear Peter,
Let me try again:
Genesis 1:2 "v'RUACH ELOKIM "
Targum Onkelos: "v'RUCHA MIN KADAM HASHEM"
in order to avoid saying "G-d's Spirit" [as if His personal attribute]
,but rather "Spirit from before G-d" [to separate the more earthly result
from its Source]

Genesis 1:27 "vYEVRA ELOKIM ET haADAM"
Targum Yerushalmi: "vYEVRA HASHEM bMAMARO ET haADAM"
in order to avoid saying "G-d created the man" [as if He personally created
in a human sense], but rather "G-d created the man by his statement" [again
an intermediary between Source and result].

and similarly hundreds of examples.

Menachem
---------------------------
>We find frequently in the Targumim translation of the name of G-d as:
>LIFNAY [before, in the presence ] of G-d
>KAVOD [glory, honor] of G-d
>as well as MAMAR [statement, word] of G-d.
>
>All of these additions appear to form a consistent attempt to avoid an
>impression of HAGSHAMAH [personification ?] by the unsophisticated listner
>to the original Hebrew Biblical verses, apparently a serious problem in the
>first century, if we judge from the sects that splintered away from Judaism
>in this period.

Menachem Brody
Machon Helkat Hasadeh
Elon Moreh
mbrody AT earthling.net
come tour the Shomron [Samaria] with us at:
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Paradise/3997/