b-hebrew - Re: Verb forms in lists (was Re: Wayyiqtol)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Verb forms in lists (was Re: Wayyiqtol)
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 00:12:49 -0500 (EST)

Galia's response drew me back to the following, to support her
suggestion that WAYYIQTOL can be analysed as W-AY-YIQTOL.

Look more closely: the forms ARE close. Galia wrote the morpheme in
question as AY, but really it is A+dagesh as we see from the first and
second person wayyiqtol forms. The Hebrew article is regularly
HA+dagesh, but this is reduced to A+dagesh after the prefixed B-, K-
and L-. Admittedly the article is not reduced after the copula W-, but
the difference is reduced from "not even close" to a minor
irregularity like "H is elided after W in verb forms but not in noun
forms". This would be easily explained if there is any mileage in
Galia's suggestion of two homophone W- prefixes (one perhaps
originally P- as Arabic F- ??), one of which elides the H and the
other does not. But there could be an explanation even without this
approach.

Peter Kirk.