b-hebrew - Re: wehashkem weshaloach in Jeremiah 26:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wehashkem weshaloach in Jeremiah 26:5
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 01:13:18 -0500

Dear Moon-Ryul Jung,

You ask about the infinitive absolutes in Jer 26:5. The infinitive
represents activity in the abstract. Some find it helpful to translate
them as gerunds, i.e., as "ing-nouns." So the passage in question has "a
rising early" and "a sending." The infinitive absolute with a finite verb
of the same root can be used to suggest the verity or add to the intensity
of the verbal activity represented by the finite verb, hence the Lord's
promise to Abraham in Gen 22:17 barek 'abarek:ka "a blessing I shall bless
you" or "I will surely bless you." I think such infinitive absolutes,
though technically are objects, functionally amount to adverbs. I might
translate very literally, "...which I am sending to you, both a rising
early, and a sending, and you don't obey." It looks to me like the
decision of most Eng translations to treat the two infin abs in Jer 26:5
like one adverbial phrase is justified, e.g. "again and again" or
"urgently."

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine