b-hebrew - Jeremiah 26:4-5: Sloppy or Flexible Construction?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon AT computing.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Jeremiah 26:4-5: Sloppy or Flexible Construction?
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 22:32:46

Dear Members:

I have difficulty in grasping the structure of Jeremiah 26:4-5. I will
summarize how I understand it, and please comments on it and the related
questions.

(4).... 'im l'o tishme`u 'elay laleket betorati 'asher
If not youlisten tome tofollow tomylaw which

natatti liphneykem: (5) lishmo`a 'al dibhrey
Iset beforeyou tolisten to wordsof

'abhadhay hannebhi'im asher 'anoki sholeach 'aleykem.
myservants theprophets which I sending toyou

The question is where infinitive "lishmo`a" is to be connected in the
whole clause. The most obvious is to make infinitive "lishimo`a"
parallel to infinitive "laleket". But the pause marker ":" seems
to break verse (4) and verse (5) completely, so that verse (5) cannot
be connected to a part of verse (4). Moreover, "lishimo`a" in verse (5)
and "tishme`u" in verse (4) denote the same thing. So, it may be reasonble
to make both parallel although the grammatical forms of both are
different. In fact, this is how the NIV Bible takes the passage.
Which would better?

Sincerely,
Moon-Ryul Jung,Ph.D.
Dept. of Computer Science