b-hebrew - Re: A Redefinition of "Israel"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Irene Riegner <iriegner AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: A Redefinition of "Israel"
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:30:54 -0500

In a message dated 2/21/99 12:00:34 AM, Lloyd Barre wrote:
A unified "Israel" never existed.  This notion is a profound
misconception.
This new understanding requires a revised approach both to "Israelite"
history, to "Israelite" tradition and to "Israelite" religion in that we are
not dealing with one people but with two.

To underscore that "Israelite" as a people encompassing Israel and Judah is a social construct, I've started to use Judah and Judahite, and Israel and Israelite to refer to the two political entities and their people, even though it is a bit awkward.  I would like to draw attention to the fact that real people with real and variant beliefs and with real, everyday, problems who are not a monolithic, social construct called "Israel" inhabited this area.

BTW I find it curious that Israel/Jacob from the north gave his name to the social construct that encompasses the population of both countries---especially since it is Judah that survives the longest.

irene riegner