b-hebrew - A Redefinition of "Israel"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Lloyd Barre <barre AT c-zone.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: A Redefinition of "Israel"
  • Date: 20 Feb 99 09:12:40 -0800

Dear B-hebrews:

I have reduced my ideas regarding the social components of ancient Israel to
this: two gods (El and Yahweh), two religions (Elism and Yahwism), two
peoples (Aramean and Hebrew), two patriarchs (Abram and Jacob), two
territories (northern and southern Palestine [Israel and Judah]), existing
there since the second millennium B.C.E.

A unified "Israel" never existed. This notion is a profound misconception.
This new understanding requires a revised approach both to "Israelite"
history, to "Israelite" tradition and to "Israelite" religion in that we are
not dealing with one people but with two.

Tersely yours,

Lloyd Barre

Lloyd M. Barre, Ph.D.

barre AT c-zone.net