b-hebrew - Re[2]: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Peter, Bryan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Peter, Bryan)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:27:34 -0500 (EST)

Dear John,

Thank you for your comments. Your example of watering the camels is
telling, but I think would be explained in terms of two sides of one
event being described as if one event, just like the naming of Ephraim
and Manasseh (whether or not they were actually twins). Where did the
97% figure come from, anyway?

But I must disagree with your: "the view that wayyiqtol is unmarked
for sequence explains 100% of the data!". On the contrary, it explains
nothing at all! Or have I explained 100% of biblical Hebrew if I
assert that no words or grammatical forms mean anything at all,
everything was pragmatics? It is safe to say "I don't know what this
means" as no-one can contradict you; but it is not an alternative
explanatory hypothesis.

Would you accept Dave's "I forgot my checkbook" example in South
Africa too? What is the English language coming to? ;-(

Peter