b-hebrew - Re: Judges 11:29

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: lmartin AT vol.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Judges 11:29
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:10:00 -0500 (EST)

"Gilead" seems to have several meanings in Judges 11. In verses 1 and
2 he is a man, Jephthah's father - the same person as Manasseh's
grandson (Num 27:1 etc) ??. In verses 5-11, it could be a region or a
town, see also 12:7 ?? In verse 29, presumably Gilead is a region and
Mizpeh Gilead is a specific location in that region. But in 10:17
perhaps Mizpeh and Gilead are separate specific locations - perhaps
there was a town called Gilead too as in Hosea 6:8. In the "Rand
McNally Bible Atlas" (1956) Emil Kraeling reconstructs Gilead and
Mizpeh as two separate but neighbouring cities, located between es
Salt and the river Jabbok, in the region of Gilead. But I think it is
possible to explain all the references with Gilead as a region, Mizpeh
as a place within it.

Peter Kirk