b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Peter, Bryan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Peter, Bryan)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:44:47 -0700

Peter,
> But I must disagree with your: "the view that wayyiqtol is unmarked
> for sequence explains 100% of the data!". On the contrary, it explains
> nothing at all! Or have I explained 100% of biblical Hebrew if I
> assert that no words or grammatical forms mean anything at all,
> everything was pragmatics? It is safe to say "I don't know what this
> means" as no-one can contradict you; but it is not an alternative
> explanatory hypothesis.

I don't know why you keep making such statements as "no words
or grammatical forms mean anything at all, everything was
pragmatics." I would hope to have shown you by now that this is
NOT my view. I would sincerely appreciate it if you would refrain
from misrepresenting me like this from now on.

> Would you accept Dave's "I forgot my checkbook" example in South
> Africa too? What is the English language coming to? ;-(

Now who's making value judgments?
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur