b-hebrew - Re: Help Please!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Help Please!
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 15:10:02 +0800

Matthew Anstey wrote:

> Gday B-Haverim
>
> I need some help. I am working on a computerised Hebrew-English interlinear
> software program for SIL, and I am interested in your opinions about
> interlinearising verbless clauses. Let's take a simple example, Ps 18.31,
> magen hu', "He is a shield." I have tagged magen as 'a shield.' There are
> two options for tagging hu'
>
> 1. He [is]
> 2. He is
>
> The guidelines for interlinearising state that square brackets are used "to
> gloss a meaning component for English that is not present in Hebrew."
>
> So the question for you all to consider and enlighten me on is this, is the
> word 'is' present in the Hebrew (option 2) or not (option 1)?
>
> It seems like a simple enough question, but after much thought I don't think
> it is. So I look forward to your ideas. As I will probably be doing hundreds
> of these over the next months, it would be good to sort out from the start.
>
> With regards,
> Matthew Anstey
>
> PS To guide your answer, it is helpful to realise that the software will be
> used by translators on the field. Assume they most know Hebrew, but that
> some may have forgotten lots of info. What is most accurate for the
> translator? Paul Zellmer, Peter Kirk and Rolf have all said you work with
> translations, what do you think?

If these are the only two options, then I agree with Jim West in his
preference for
the first. However, in a strict, word-for-word interlinear, I would expect
"a shield"
"he", with no form of the word "to be". If, on the other hand, you are
transposing
the word order into English and normalizing the grammar, then "is" would be
supplied.

If you are indeed trying to output the result in acceptable English, a more
difficult
nut for you to crack would be the difference between magen hu' and (for sake
of a
minimal pair) hu' magen. The first is descriptive, the second is
identification, yet
written English would translate both "he is a shield." (Spoken English would
probably
put stress on "he" in the second case.)

Wishing you the best. I don't envy you!

Paul

--
Remember: The ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic, by professionals.

---
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph