b-hebrew - Help Please!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Help Please!
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 20:10:13 -0800

Gday B-Haverim

I need some help. I am working on a computerised Hebrew-English interlinear
software program for SIL, and I am interested in your opinions about
interlinearising verbless clauses. Let's take a simple example, Ps 18.31,
magen hu', "He is a shield." I have tagged magen as 'a shield.' There are
two options for tagging hu'

1. He [is]
2. He is

The guidelines for interlinearising state that square brackets are used "to
gloss a meaning component for English that is not present in Hebrew."

So the question for you all to consider and enlighten me on is this, is the
word 'is' present in the Hebrew (option 2) or not (option 1)?

It seems like a simple enough question, but after much thought I don't think
it is. So I look forward to your ideas. As I will probably be doing hundreds
of these over the next months, it would be good to sort out from the start.

With regards,
Matthew Anstey

PS To guide your answer, it is helpful to realise that the software will be
used by translators on the field. Assume they most know Hebrew, but that
some may have forgotten lots of info. What is most accurate for the
translator? Paul Zellmer, Peter Kirk and Rolf have all said you work with
translations, what do you think?

"The need of truth is more sacred than any other need." Simone Weil