b-hebrew - Re: Historical David (Tel-Dan) (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Historical David (Tel-Dan) (Peter)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:18:28 +1100

Peter,

I haven't read Garbini's article for quite a while now, but I remember
when I was reading it, every one of his points against the authenticity
of the fragments was easily countered. In the end, I remember thinking
that I would have to specifically address his arguments in my thesis,
but the arguments made no real threat to the authenticity of the
fragments. In fact, I think he was misreading much of the evidence to
start with, but I can't quite remember exactly. I will be addressing it
farily soon, though. Perhaps when I do, I'll send a post to the forum.

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm