b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: BH: method in discourse: two questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor M Peterson <spedrson AT juno.com>
  • To: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: BH: method in discourse: two questions
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:51:30 EST

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:43:19 -0500 (EST) Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG writes:

>Could the following be another possibility for 1 Sam 1:12: here we
>have a flashback situation, which would require a pluperfect in
>English etc: "Meanwhile, as she was praying so much to the Lord, Eli
>had been observing her". Normally such a flashback would use w-X
>qatal; but the problem is that this is a one word clause, there is no
>X to be fronted, and so we just find weqatal. But is such a
>construction found elsewhere for "Meanwhile back at the ranch..." type
>
>situations?

I don't know about frequency, but it does sound plausible. I wonder,
though, if it were a problem to front an X-element, whether the author
would have hesitated to use the independent pronoun. It would certainly
have been an available option.

Trevor Peterson
Bible/Theology Department
Washington Bible College
Lanham, MD

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]