b-hebrew - Re[2]: Historical David (Tel-Dan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Historical David (Tel-Dan)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:08:08 -0500 (EST)

How predictable! Someone doesn't like the conclusions that would
follow from certain evidence and so finds some excuse for declaring
that evidence a forgery. Even Ian believes this professor enough to
translate his article and put it on his web site; but at least he
reminds us of George's web site also.

Let's assume for now that the Tel-Dan inscriptions are a forgery. What
a careless forger! He made the inscription far too readable, a dead
giveaway. Yet he seems to have been quite a scholar. Not only has he
used believable letter shapes, close to those in various inscriptions
of the correct period. He has also invented his own aberrant dialect
of Aramaic (when it would have been so much easier to follow a
standard model), which of course cannot be anything like the actual
speech of the Arameans who conquered this area, although we have no
data to say what this speech was really like. Yet also what a
restrained forger! How he must have agonised about including only half
the name of king ending in -yahu, rather than a whole name of a
Biblical king, and to leave out the word break in BYTDWD, just in case
someone might think a slightly less spoiled forgery too obvious!

:-^)

Peter Kirk