b-hebrew - Re: Historical David (Tel-Dan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Historical David (Tel-Dan)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:55:01 -0700

Jack wrote:

> yochanan bitan wrote:
>
> > > The Tel-Dan inscription
> > > is a "maybe" but ambiguous on orthographic grounds.
> >
> > Lemaire: JSOT 1998: 10
> > "although there were many discussions about the syntagma BYTDWD, there is
> > no epigraphical and historical problem about it. ... the mention of
> > B(Y)TDWD by two enemies of Judah very probably reveals that it was part of
> > the offical diplomatic language of this period."
> >
> > the problem isn't with the tel dan inscription, and calling it ambiguous
> > is
> > not to do it justice. lemaire's got it right, both tel dan and moav.
>
> Well, it IS my opinion that the Tel-Dan inscription refers to David and
> I think that the lack of a word divider in this construction....also noted
> in others, like bytyhwh, was an orthographic trend at the time. I was
> attempting, however, not to be tendentious and to offer a more
> "neutral" statement. I also think the very inference of "forgery" is
> absurd. My 2 shekels plus 1 (g)

Agreed. After reading the article that Ian graciously put on the web
for us, I am more convinced than ever of its authenticity and think
that the author of the article was trying a little too hard. Re the
dialect, obviously it's not standard Aramaic. I suspect it may be a
semitic dialect that we haven't seen before. Re the preservation,
well hey, if it only stood for a maximum of 10 years and then got
buried (recycled?) there was no exposure to wind and water to
erode the inscription. That much should have been obvious. And it
seems to me that if any archaeologist competent enough to
reproduce the script was going to forge such a thing, s/he could
and would have done a much better job of imitating a dialect that
we already knew! The very fact that it has so many linguistic
oddities (if that is what they are) argues for its authenticity, IMO.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur