b-hebrew - Re: Need a list, 2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Need a list, 2
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:47:15 -0500

Sorry, Dave, I forgot...

There is a (statistically small, but) fairly large number of clause-initial
weqatals that appear to carry the main plotline of historical narrative.
I.e., they are 'unconverted' and seemingly interchangable with wayyiqtol.
See Longacre, "Weqatal Forms in BH Prose," BH and Discourse Linguistics,
ed. Bergen, Dallas: S.I.L., 1994.

Bryan

----------
> From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Need a list
> Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 3:11 PM
>
> Does anybody have already-compiled a list of clause-initial qatals
> without waw? If so, could I talk you into sharing it? If not, does
> anybody have software that can compile such a list quickly and
> easily? All I have so far is Logos, and I haven't found a way to do
> this with it yet.

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13208

315-437-6744(w)
315-479-8267(h)

  • Re: Need a list, 2, Bryan Rocine, 01/27/1999