b-hebrew - Re: Historical David (Tel-Dan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Historical David (Tel-Dan)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 05:29:43 +0100

If anyone is interested in an analysis of the Tel-Dan inscription written
by Giovanni Garbini, Professor of Semitic Studies at the University of Rome
"La Sapienza", I have a version translated at

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/5210/tel_dan.htm

And while we are here, George Athas maintains the Tel Dan Inscription
Website at:

http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm

Ian

At 21.50 26/01/99 -0600, Jack Kilmon wrote:

>There is no reliably convincing epigraphic or archaeological evidence
>that David was historical outside the OT. The Tel-Dan inscription
>is a "maybe" but ambiguous on orthographic grounds. The article
>in the recent BAR on the name of David inscribed by Shishak on the
>Temple at Karnak is also getting more controversial by the day.
>
>Other than a "maybe" for Tel Dan, there just aint nuttin we can
>hang an historical hat upon.
>
>Jack
>--
>
>taybutheh d'maran yeshua masheecha am kulkon
>
>Jack Kilmon
>jkilmon AT historian.net
>
>http://www.historian.net
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: mc2499 AT mclink.it
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')