b-hebrew - Re: Historical David

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Robert Vining <rvining AT log.on.ca>, b-hebrew AT virginia.edu, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Historical David
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:50:49 -0600

Robert Vining wrote:

> I am interested in the historical David, and am asking for response on
> the following-Is there any near contemporary extra-biblical reference to
> David? What evidence is there for David's presence in the City of
> David? Is any one aware of:: a comparative study of the Davids of the
> Court Historian, the Chronicler, and Josephus? , or, a worthwhile
> book/article on the historical David?

There is no reliably convincing epigraphic or archaeological evidence
that David was historical outside the OT. The Tel-Dan inscription
is a "maybe" but ambiguous on orthographic grounds. The article
in the recent BAR on the name of David inscribed by Shishak on the
Temple at Karnak is also getting more controversial by the day.

Other than a "maybe" for Tel Dan, there just aint nuttin we can
hang an historical hat upon.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net

http://www.historian.net

  • Re: Historical David, Jack Kilmon, 01/26/1999